Aquastrat is led by Michael Coffey, an executive and consultant with over 30 years’ experience in global energy and water markets. Our primary focus is on the water and wastewater sector, but the strengthening water-energy nexus has also enabled us to develop expertise in renewable energy. Both are critical pillars of sustainable resource management strategies for governments and companies.
Aquastrat offers consulting and advisory services to clients in utility markets in the areas of long-term strategy development, regulatory models and management structuring, M&A and investment planning. We use a network of specialists in relevant fields to support private and public sector clients, mainly in Europe and the Middle East/North Africa. As well as working on specific projects, we also provide desk-based analysis of industry trends and scenario planning services for clients.
Recent assignments include:
- Developing a non-regulated growth strategy for a major UK W&WW company
- Advising a major UK W&WW company on addressing retail competition in the C&I market
- A benchmark study for an environmental consultancy looking at growth options
- Leading a team developing a 25 year water and wastewater strategy for a MENA Government
- Assisting the Crown Estate with developing and managing a process for investmenting in wave and tidal energy projects
- Expert advisor to the Saudi national desalination co. (SWCC) during its transformation and privatisation programme
- Board member of Turkey's largest water PPP venture
- For the Carbon Trust, leading the development of a public-private JV model for R&D in the UK offshore wind sector
- Scenario planning with a Eurasian energy company
- Strategic Review of the UK water market for a major W&WW Company
- Advising a major US industrial corporation on water market entry strategies
Michael has also lectured on Water and Energy strategy issues at INSEAD, LBS, HEC, Said Business school, CUA (Washington) and ZEF (Bonn)